Take Me Back by Angie Le Mar
Download press release
Last chance to see this fantastic production
Presented by Straight to Audience Productions and Passion Place and Purpose
Award-winning comedienne, playwright and author ANGIE LE MAR, is back with the hit gospel musical production, Take Me Back, after its sell out success earlier this year in London, Birmingham and Luton.
"A nostalgic, enticing, masterpiece of a play"
Take Me Back, tells the story of two young girls, Patricia and Andrea, whose friendship was forged whilst attending church with their mothers. Their life experiences led them down different, separate and painful paths, only for them to return to the church and faith of their childhood. When their friendship came to an end, life took over, dreams were broken and heartaches grew, many questions asked! A journey through, love, laughter and tears, who will ever understand the power of forgiveness? Shining a rare spotlight on life within black community churches, this is a ‘must see’, emotional roller coaster of a show that gives insight into experiences that often go unspoken or are kept hidden from public glare.
“Heart-warming and uplifting”
Ronke Lawal, Afridiziak Theatre News
Angie Le Mar, said: “Take Me Back is for everyone. A lot of people might think ‘oh it’s a church play, it’s not for me’ or they don’t believe in God. This play is about real life, the Windrush generation, their families, friendship and mother and daughter relationships.
Although, this is a hilarious portrayal of church celebrating the good times and the fond memories, Take Me Back, deals with subject matters that we don’t get to talk about and it’s time our community started to talk about them.
I have written many plays (Forty, The Brothers, Daughters) focusing on stories that people know and recognise and I even though I grew up in the church, this isn’t just about the church. It’s about the black community, a generation that didn’t get to look at forgiveness. We don’t talk about forgiveness in our community enough and we don’t talk about restoration and coming together and healing and moving forward. There are things within the black community that we don’t like to discuss that this play touches on.’.
The songs, comedy, and the spellbinding performances will get you up on your feet, rejoicing!
The cast includes comedian Patrick Medley aka Pastor ShackleFoot.
TAKE ME BACK
Written and Directed by Angie Le Mar
LONDON - 4 to 15 Dec 2018, 7.30pm
Stockwell Playhouse, 208 Wandsworth Road London SW8 2JU | Box office: 020 7622 9208 | Book tickets online
Press & guest night: 5 Dec 2018, 7pm
6 / 13 Dec 2018, 7.30pm
Post show q&a with Take Me Back playwright and producer, Angie Le Mar, Cherlene Wilson (Purity Talks) and Pastor Sola Dawkins (Founder of Woman With a Purpose Ministry); hosted by Leah Charles-King. Join us as we discuss the important issues raised in this ground-breaking gospel music production.
11 Dec 2018, 7.30pm
Join us for a special evening celebrating our Windrush Elders - 2 FOR 1 tickets with promo code 'WINDRUSH’.
Social Media: #TakeMeBackPlay @angielemar @marciadixonpr @afridiziak @stockwellPHouse
For further information, images and interviews, please contact:
Sophia A Jackson / email@example.com | 07855 86 77 78
Notes to editor
- Angie Le Mar is available for interview.
- Running time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Take Me Back is comprised of an unknown cast found via workshops conducted by Angie Le Mar
- Angie Le Mar (writer and director), is a multi-award winning comedienne, author and playwright, best known for her hit plays, The Brothers (featuring Richard Blackwood from BBC EastEnders and Charles Venn from BBC1 Casualty; Strictly Come Dancing); Funny Black Women on the Edge (with Chizzy Akudolu from BBC Holby City and Strictly Come Dancing), Forty and Do you Know Where Your Daughter is?
- Angie Le Mar is a British comedy legend. She is the first black woman to experience success as a comedienne here in the UK and is a successful playwright, director, producer and author.
- The trailer for Take Me Back
- Angie Le Mar’s autobiography Full Circle was released in March 2017.