Utopia Theatre launches Baobab Project to raise funds for the next generation of African theatre makers
- After previously raising £3000 toward this project, Utopia aims to raise another £7000 of their £10,000 target towards developing new talent from Africa and the African Diaspora
- Funding will go towards producing and publishing 3 new plays from new, gifted writers of African heritage in an effort to pass the baton to the next generation.
As a leading voice in African Theatre, Utopia aims to use this project to create strong foundations for the future of African theatre.
Having raised £3000 already towards this cause, the charity is now relaunching the fundraiser bigger than before. This time, the project will feature a series of workshops inspired by the success of the Creative Hub that ran online through 2020. These workshops, titled the Baobab Creative Hub, are running from July 19th, 2021 – July 25th, 2021. Tickets for all workshops are now on sale, and all funds raised will go directly to the Baobab Project. Incredible creatives and workshop leaders have donated their time, including theatre, film director, DJ, composer, broadcaster and journalist Matthew Xia, playwright, producer, director, critic and commentator, Patricia Cumper MBE, award winning writer Oladipo Agboluaje, writer, director, actress, Anni Domingo and spoken poet Uncle Errol.
Mojisola Elufowoju, Artistic Director and CEO, Utopia Theatre, said:
The importance of preserving the legacy of the rich African theatre canon is vital. Utopia Theatre has worked hard celebrating and preserving the work of African theatre makers of the past and present, but we also need to make sure we keep an eye on the future. With the Utopia Baobab Project, we aim to pass the baton to new, gifted writers, and ensure that African theatre continues for generations to come.
- Donate to the fundraiser: justgiving.com/campaign/utopia-baobab-project
- Book tickets for each event: eventbrite.co.uk/o/utopia-theatre-7812746059\
- Find out more about the project via Utopia Theatre website: utopiatheatre.co.uk/opportunities/utopia-baobab-project