The annual Black Magic Awards returned for its third year to honour –
Letitia Wright, Beverley Knight, June Sarpong, Doreen Lawrence OBE and more at London’s Criterion Theatre
October 2018– The annual Black Magic Awards made its return to London’s Criterion Theatre on Monday 9th to once again honour the talents of some of the U.K’s most inspirational women of colour, from across entertainment, business, sport, fashion, community to music and more.
The event was hosted by Comedian and BBC Radio presenter Judi Love and was attended by a host special guests and celebrities who enjoyed a night full of ultimate #blackgirlmagic!
Special honourees who turned out to collect their awards included; British Soul and R&B musician and musical theatre star Beverley Knight, TV presenter and author June Sarpong, founder of the first black British music awards – the MOBOs, Kanya King OBE, award-winning authors Yomi Adegoke and Elizabeth Uviebinne as well as campaigner and author Doreen Lawrence OBE.
Musical performances on the night came from Afrobeats star Fuse ODG and R&B singer and X-Factor semi-finalist Misha B and familiar faces who graced the black carpet on the night included; BBC 1Xtra’s Yasmin Evans, DJ Yinka Bokinni, BBC’s The Apprentice winner Tim Campbell, Holby City actress Chizzy Akudolu, So Solid Crew’s Harvey, Gogglebox’s Sandra Bogle plus many more!
The Black Magic Awards which was founded in 2017 by Comedian, Actor and Producer Kojo Amin and Content Creator and Entrepreneur Annika Allen and is dedicated to honouring and celebrating the achievements of Black, British men and women!
- Television Honour-June Sarpong(TV Presenter and Author)
- Brand Honour –Kanya King, CBE(Founder of the MOBO Awards)
- Acting Honour –Letitia Wright(UK & US Actress)
- The Impact Honour –Doreen Lawrence OBE(Campaigner and mother of late Stephen Lawrence)
- Entrepreneur Honour –Louise Broni-Mensah(Founder of ticketing website Shoobs)
- Film Honour-Amma Asante(Director)
- Inspiration Honour –Afua Hirsch(Writer, Author and Broadcaster)
- Influence Honour-Patricia Bright(Prolific Beauty YouTuber & Social Media Influencer)
- Comedy –Jocelyn Jee Essien(Comedian and Actress)
- Music Honour –Beverley Knight MBE(Recording Artist and Musical Theatre Actress)
- Literature Honour –Yomi Adegoke & Elizabeth Uviebinne(Authors of awarding-winning book Slay in Your Lane)
- Legend Honour –Moira Stuart(TV Presenter)
- Sports Honour-Sasha & Kadeen Corbin(England and Super-league netball players)
- Community Champions – Sonia Meggie(Founder of social enterprise Inspirational You), Dr Ann-Marie Imafidon MBE(Creator of Stemettes) Cesc Brown (Founder & CEO of Goals 4 Girls) Leanne Pero (Entrepreneur & Breast cancer survivor)